Thursday, December 06, 2012

December 6: 8-Bit Synthtown


8-Bit Synthtown - A Very Chiptune Christmas

A little something different for the holidays.  The 8-bit culture is fascinating to me.  And, though I have dabbled in it, I doubt I'll ever fully understand it.
But I love it.  I mainly love it for albums like this.  I've listened to a handful of 8-bit Christmas albums before, but they never really grabbed me.  This one did.  It's short and beautiful.  It begs for repeated listens.  After I get done with one listen, I want to just put it on repeat and roll through it again.
If you really want, you can put this on and pretend that you're a character in a videogame, celebrating Christmas with all your pixelated buddies.  My imagination doesn't run quite that deep anymore.  For me, I listen to this album and it feels like I'm being called to sit in front of the Christmas tree and play RBI baseball on my GameBoy.  Which is what I will do.

It may not be for everyone, but it really is a beautiful little Christmas EP.  Each song is wonderfully crafted and layered.  It's quite lovely.

There are 5 songs here.  And, though the titles don't necessarily reflect it, you get unique renditions of "Winter Wonderland", "White Christmas", "Jingle Bell Rock", "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree".




No comments: