Saturday, October 01, 2011

Zola Jesus, The Weeknd




Zola JesusConatus

Spooky, glitchy, and lush.  This album feels like a combination of Kate Bush, Bjork, Bat for Lashes and Florence + The Machine.  Her voice is amazing…haunting and threatening and heartbreaking (sometimes all at once).  It’s 55 and rainy outside right now, and this album feels perfect.  

Favorite track: "Vessel"
Rating: 4.5/5



The Weeknd – House of Balloons

I had been hearing about this guy for a while, so I thought it was about time I’d give him a shot.  I like it.  It’s a nice little R&B album.  A little different from what I usually think of when I think of R&B (he uses a lot of interesting textures), so that certainly helps (some songs have a touch more Reznor than your typical R&B album track).  There are times when some of the songs kind of bleed together, but, for the most part, I really like it.  He’s no Frank Ocean (who is?), but, if you’re looking for a good R&B album, you could do a lot worse than The Weeknd.  (The same review pretty much applies for his second album, Thursday.)

Favorite track: “The Knowing”
Rating: 3.5/5

No comments: