Monday, July 11, 2011

Quick Hits

James Vincent McMorrowEarly in the Morning
Dubbed “the Irish Bon Iver”, and I can really see it.  He has that same ghostly falsetto.  And, while this album is a bit more fleshed out with instruments than Bon Iver’s first album, it still has that same stripped-down feel at points.  I wouldn’t put him on the level of Bon Iver, but there are some really amazing moments on this album.

Favorite track: "We Don't Eat"
Rating: 4/5


Beyonce
It’s Beyonce.  Some of the tracks were amazing.  Some of the tracks didn’t do much for me.  When it hits, it’s fantastic.  When it doesn’t, it’s kind of boring (and, at times, a little annoying).  It’s uneven, but I enjoyed it.

Favorite track: "Best Thing I Never Had"
Rating: 2.5/5


I feel like I should’ve liked this more than I did.  Lots of reverb and distortion.  Seems like it should be a great summer album, but it just didn’t click for me.  I didn’t dislike it…but it just seemed to be the same song over and over again.  This seems like one that I’ll like more with repeated listens.

Favorite track: "Strange"
Rating: 3/5


Buck 6520 Odd Years
This is something a little different for him.  He’s always been a little strange, but this one seemed almost like a collage of musical styles, all trying to fit into hip-hop.  A little bit of pop.  A little bit of rock.  And a handful of moments that I can’t even quite describe.  I enjoyed it, but it doesn’t really rank up there with his Bike for Three album, or Situation.

Favorite track: "Superstars Don't Love"
Rating: 3/5


Asobi SeksuFluorescence
I heard about these guys a while ago, and this is my first time to actually sit down and listen to them.  Much like the Pains of Being Pure at Heart album, this is one that I feel like I should like (and in the same category, too…kind of fuzzy, summery music), but I didn’t really like it.  Nothing really jumped out.  I think I’ll end up liking the Pains of Being Pure at Heart album more than I’ll like this one.  In fact, I’m not sure I have much of a desire to listen to this album again.  It just felt kind of blah.

Favorite track: "Pink Light"
Rating: 1.5/5


Family PortraitFamily Portrait
Seemed like a lo-fi summer album.  But, once again, it didn’t really hold my interest.  There were some good moments, but most of the album just felt like one big underproduced faux-tribute to the Beach Boys.  I don’t get it.

Favorite track: "Come Back to Me"
Rating: 2/5

No comments: